Resolution adopted by the General Assembly on 10 December 2010
[on the report of the Special Political and Decolonization Committee
(Fourth Committee) (A/65/430)]
Agenda item 59
65/119. Third International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism
The General Assembly,
Recalling that 2010 marks the fiftieth anniversary of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples, (1)
Recalling also its resolution 43/47 of 22 November 1988, by which it declared the period 1990–2000 the International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism, resolution 46/181 of 19 December 1991, by which it adopted a plan of action for the Decade,(2) and resolution 55/146 of 8 December 2000, by which it declared the period 2001–2010 the Second International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism,
Bearing in mind the recommendations contained in the Final Document of the Fifteenth Summit Conference of Heads of State and Government of the Movement of Non-Aligned Countries, held in Sharm el Sheikh, Egypt, from 11 to 16 July 2009, (3) including the renewal of the call to States Members of the United Nations to speed up the process of decolonization towards the complete elimination of colonialism, including by supporting the effective implementation of the plan of action for the Second International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism, (4)
Bearing in mind also that the participants in the Pacific regional seminar held in Nouméa from 18 to 20 May 2010 called for the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples to propose the declaration of a new decade for the eradication of colonialism,
Recalling its resolution 64/106 of 10 December 2009, in which it reconfirmed the need to take measures to eliminate colonialism by 2010, as called for in its resolution 55/146, and reaffirmed its determination to continue to take all steps necessary to bring about the complete and speedy eradication of colonialism,
Guided by the fundamental and universal principles enshrined in the Charter of the United Nations, the Universal Declaration of Human Rights (5) and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights,(6)
Having examined the relevant reports of the Secretary-General concerning the implementation of the plans of action for the International Decades, (7)
Taking into account the important contribution of the United Nations in the field of decolonization, in particular through the Special Committee,
- Declares the period 2011–2020 the Third International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism;
- Calls upon Member States to intensify their efforts to continue to implement the plan of action for the Second International Decade for the Eradication of Colonialism (8) and to cooperate with the Special Committee on the Situation with regard to the Implementation of the Declaration on the Granting of Independence to Colonial Countries and Peoples in updating it as necessary, with a view to using it as the basis for a plan of action for the Third International Decade;
- Calls upon the administering Powers to cooperate fully with the Special Committee to develop a constructive programme of work on a case-by-case basis for the Non-Self-Governing Territories to facilitate the implementation of the mandate of the Special Committee and the relevant resolutions of the United Nations on decolonization, including resolutions on specific Territories;
- Invites Member States, the specialized agencies and other organizations of the United Nations system, and other governmental and non-governmental organizations, actively to support and participate in the implementation of the plan of action during the Third International Decade;
- Requests the Secretary-General to provide the resources necessary for the successful implementation of the plan of action;
- Also requests the Secretary-General to report to the General Assembly at its seventieth and seventy-fifth sessions on the implementation of the present resolution.
62nd plenary meeting
10 December 2010
1) Resolution 1514 (XV).
2) See A/46/634/Rev.1, annex.
3) See A/63/965 S/2009/514, annex.
4) Ibid., para. 43.5.
5) Resolution 217 A (III).
6) See resolution 2200 A (XXI), annex.
7) A/44/800, A/45/624, A/46/593 and Add.1, A/46/634/Rev.1, A/54/219, A/55/497, A/56/61, A/60/71 and Add.1, A/64/70 and A/65/330.
8) A/56/61, annex.